Saturday, October 21, 2006

PREACHING ON THE 50 YD LINE

A phrase like that will usually catch the eye of football fans almost anywhere. Actually I did have the opportunity to preach but on the earth's 50yd line. That is right! This last Wednesday, October 18th, I arrived from a 10 day trip to Ecuador, where I was blessed to speak at the Annual International Men's Conference. Quito is right on the equator (that is where the country get's name from....duh!) and that is where the conference took place.

It all started on Monday, October 9th when I took my flight from Cochabamba to La Paz. When I arrived in La Paz (where I had to spend the night), there were blockades all over the city. The taxis were on strike and protesting that week. Therefore, I had to hop in one taxi, go as far as I could, then walk until I could find another. I did arrive safely at the Hotel, and that is where I stayed for the rest of the day.

On Tuesday, I beat the taxi drivers to the punch and made to the La Paz airport before they set up their blockades. I took my flight and arrived in Quito at 1 pm. I had a great time visiting the preaching school, church, getting to know students, faculty, staff, elders, deacons, etc. I also met up with Erik (from Vina del Mar) and his new wife Cecilia and took them to dinner. Kent and Sharla Marcum were wonderful hosts...Thanx!

The conference began on Thursday and ended on Saturday, where I spoke 6 times. The theme that was given to me was "Knowing More About the Holy Spirit". My main focus was "The Power of God Within Us", summarizing God's natured; His equipping of His servants throughout history; His work of redemtion with us; and His equipping of his servants today. I went over time on almost every ocassion (so what is new), but I believe everyone left encouraged.

On Sunday I was also blessed with the opportunity to preach at the North Quito church, where I also went over time. That afternoon I met with the mission team planning on coming to Sucre, Bolivia in January. It is made up of 2 families, 2 single men and one single woman. We met for about 4 hours talking about Bolivia and their team.

On Monday I spent most of the day with Erik and Cecilia. It was a blessed day! We reminisced, looked at pictures, ate and spent time with Cecilia's family. I finally got back to the Marcums about 9 pm.

On Tuesday I met with the faculty of the Escuela Quitena de Estudios Biblicos and elders of the North Quito church. They started arriving at about 10:30 a.m. I met with the wives with whom I shared a 15 minute devotional for about 30 minutes, and then met with the guys. We had a wonderful time. By 3 pm most everyone was gone, so about 3:15 pm Kent Marcum took me to the airport. I finally arrived home the following day about 11 a.m. Trish was waiting for me with a huge bear hug...I WAS GREAT TO BE HOME AGAIN!

I am so grateful to Kent Marcum, and the church in North Quito for inviting me this conference. It was an honor for me to share from God's word about His power within us to brethren from Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador. I am also thankful to Austin Ave. and all of our supporters for providing the means for us to serve God here in Latin America. This was an awesome experience for me, just a small time servant in a tremendous mission field.

Please pray for all of the efforts that are going on in the countries I just mentioned. The school in Quito is doing a great job, preparing and sending harvesters into the fields. Please continue to pray for us here in Cochabamba, as we continue to make progress in our work here.

As Erik would say..."Your friend and brother in arms"


Butch and Trish

Picutres at a later date! They just won't load! :(
Please "clic" on the Flickr photos. Look at our family photos for new posts.

1 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

We are so glad that you were able to go and bless our brethren in Ecuador... but are super glad that you are back!! So grateful for you and Trish... hope that you always know that!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home